The Ideal Backup And Disaster Recovery Strategy For SMEs
- Why Backup And Disaster Recovery Strategy Is Necessary
- Disaster Recovery Plan Steps
- Technical Terms for Data Backup And Disaster Recovery
- Sum up
- Related Articles
- User Comments
In this highly informative era, information security is the first thing to consider, whether it is for an individual or an enterprise. This is why backup and disaster recovery becomes one of the hottest topics of the day. Indeed, a thoughtful backup and disaster recovery strategy is of great importance especially when customer information and important meeting data are lost all of a sudden.
The individuals, who have a lot of important data, and the companies, no matter it is big or small, should know well that backup is actually a necessity rather than a luxury. And a piece of professional data recovery software, like MiniTool Power Data Recovery, should be prepared in advance for the timely data recovery from disaster.
Why Backup And Disaster Recovery Strategy Is Necessary
For both individuals and SMEs (Small and Medium-sized Enterprises), there are various kinds of data that need to be protected: people's personal photos, study materials & precious videos and enterprises' internal documents, customer-facing marketing information & transactional data, etc. As you can easily understand – it's a disaster to lose significant data and what's more terrible is that a series of disastrous consequences will be caused by the data loss.
Taking all these factors into consideration, I'd like to give my suggestions on backup techniques and disaster recovery strategies. Now, let's take a closer look at the useful backup techniques and disaster recovery procedures I put together. In the following content, I'll help you choose the correct backup and recovery software and how to use them to complete data backup and recovery.
Backup Techniques & Tips for SMEs
Four main types of backup techniques.
- Full backup: by using this method to make a backup, the copy of all files will be saved and occurred automatically according to a pre-set schedule that you chose. Since there are always too many files needing to be backed up, they are often compressed for saving disk space. This could cause heavy access to the disk used for backup, shorten its service life, and consume the network bandwidth. Yet, the most obvious highlight of this backup technique is the easy restoration.
- Incremental backup: incremental backup refers to the way of data backup that only saves the items that have been created or changed after the last backup. The volume of data that will be backed up is getting smaller during the iteration, so obviously, this will take the lead in saving disk space and reducing network bandwidth usage.
- Differential backup: this backup technique is very similar to the previous one – incremental backup. The big difference between them is that the new and updated items will be stored in each backup operation since the last full backup. That is to say, the changed or newly created item will be a part of each differential backup until you finish another full backup. Differential backup simplifies the recovery, but requires more space and network bandwidth, when it is compared to incremental backup technique.
- Virtual full backup: basically speaking, a database will be used during virtual full backup for tracking and managing the backed up data; this helps to avoid some of the pitfalls found in other backup methods. By using this backup technique, you're able to synchronize the backup data to the database easily at fixed periods.
All in all, backing up the vital data & keeping the backup updating is a very important work to do.
Practical backup tips you should keep in mind.
- Choose a preferred method for system/disk backup (Microsoft built-in Backup and Restore function or a third-party backup program).
- Pay attention to the safety, convenience and the recovery performance and complexity of the program when selecting a backup scheme.
- Be careful enough during backup process so as to avoid causing unnecessary troubles.
- Update the backup on a regular basis, instead of putting it aside once it's done.
- Be sure to select the correct backup and recovery location in order to avoid data overwriting.
In conclusion, MiniTool Shadow Maker is a great choice for you whether you are a novice or an expert! To tell the truth, it is rewarded one of the best Backup and Restore Software in 2017 and you are able to complete each task with just a few clicks (just follow the prompts in software interface to backup/restore easily). Now, you may click on the following button to have a try for free!
Disaster Recovery Plan Steps
When disaster actually happens to you, you must want to acquire the useful disaster recovery solutions, right? So why don't you prepare for that in advance?
Step 1: Turn to Backup for Help
If the disk or system has been backed up well, there's nothing to worry about when disaster hits on you. You can get help directly from the backup – restore the system/disk quickly to avoid any consequences that could be resulted from disaster.
But, this method is not a panacea; it may also fail you due to mainly two reasons.
2. The lost data ruined by the disaster have not been backed up yet.
In this case, you need to move on to the next step in order to finish backup disaster recovery.
Step 2: Recover Files from A Disaster Immediately
In general, disaster is divided into two types – natural disaster (natural hazard) and man-made disaster (anthropogenic hazard). And the data recovery after man-made disaster is easy to be finished as long as the media used to store data are in good condition. Right now, let's see how to recover data after disaster.
1. To enjoy high-quality disaster recovery services, you have to choose the safe and powerful recovery tool. I think MiniTool Power Data Recovery can meet your needs since it has helped millions of people solve their data loss problems.
For users who want to recover significant personal data, I recommend Free Edition (has 1 GB free data recovery and other limits) or Personal License (doesn't support Windows Server); yet, as for the disaster recovery for small business, I recommend Business Standard License (don't include snap-in WinPE Bootable Builder) or Business Deluxe License (include snap-in WinPE Bootable Builder).
2. After choosing the license most suitable for your case, you should get the setup program, finish the installation on your computer and register the software with your license. Then, you will see the main interface as shown below after this series of operations. (I'll take the data recovery in Win10 by using Free Edition as an example)
3. Read the usage of each function by putting cursor onto them and pick out the most proper one for your case. After clicking on the certain function, you'll be brought to the corresponding drive selection interface (taking "Damaged Partition Recovery" as an example).
Here, you need to select the drive that includes the data ruined by a man-made disaster. After that, please click on the "Full Scan" button to detect files in this drive sector by sector.
4. Wait until the end of the full scan and you'll see a lot of items have been found by the software and listed in order. At this time, you should do two things – browse the found data carefully to pick out the ones you need and click on the "Save" button to set a safe storage path for them.
5. Close the software when a prompt window appears and informs you that all the selected files have been saved to the appointed place. And then, you can go to check the recovery result.
This is how to recover files from human-induced disaster. Considering that the natural disasters will damage storage devices in most times, I advise you to ask professional agencies for help (to see whether they can open the drive in an absolutely safe environment so as to perform data backup and recovery).
Step 3: Make Backup to Re-secure Data
The next step of this disaster recovery policy is to re-secure the data (including existing files and recovered files) by making a backup. I advise you to do a full backup at first, and then, you can choose from incremental backup and differential backup the next time. This is a safe bet.
Again, you should choose a backup & restore software with both good performance and high safety.
Step 4: Find or Develop A Rescue Plan That Suits You
After you have finished the backup and data recovery, your work is not done yet; you also need to look for or make a unique backup and disaster recovery plan so that you can handle it calmly in the face of disasters later on.
Technical Terms for Data Backup And Disaster Recovery
- Disaster Recovery (DR): according to Wikipedia, "disaster recovery involves a set of policies, tools and procedures to enable the recovery or continuation of vital technology infrastructure and systems following a natural or human-induced disaster."
- Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP): the disaster recovery plan includes a set of procedures/steps to recover data and protect business IT infrastructure when disaster (especially man-made disaster) comes. And I strongly advise you to work hard on finding out how to prevent man-made disasters effectively.
- Recovery Point Objective (RPO): the recovery point objective refers to the maximum allowable or maximum tolerable outage that won't lead to data loss caused by a major incident. RPO gives people time to work out the problem and restore the equipment to normal operation.
- Recovery Time Objective (RTO): accordingly, the recovery time objective means the targeted time duration and the service level. In this time period after the disaster, the business process must be restored; otherwise, a series of terrible consequences will be brought by the disaster.
- Business Continuity Planning (BCP): business continuity planning refers to the actions of making plans (creating prevention and recovery systems) to deal with the potential threats that will interrupt the normal operation of equipment and company.
Do not think disaster will never come to you. In fact, it could hit on anyone or any business. And once you're not fully prepared when disaster comes, you will suffer the terrible consequences.
After reading what I've covered in this article, you must be aware of the importance of data backup and recovery. I have shared my opinions on backup and disaster recovery strategy: choose quality data backup and recovery tool to enjoy favorable disaster recovery services.
The most important thing of all is, of course, staying calm when disaster gets to you & trying your best to recover from the disaster in short time.
Common problems related to partition recovery and our solutions:
- Files In Windows 10 Quick Access Missing, How To Find Back
- If Files Disappear From PC, Please Try These Useful Solutions
- Curious About The Data Recovery Prices? Check It Out Here
- How To Recover Google Chrome History Files – An Ultimate Tutorial
- How Can You Recover Lost Files In Windows Server Quickly & Safely