Recover Data When PC Won't Boot
- How to Recover Data When PC Won't Boot
- What to Do When Windows Won't Boot
- Bottom Line
- Related Articles
- User Comments
If the computer isn't booting anymore, we can't get any work done. In this scenario, what should we do if we have stored massive important files in this dead PC? Is it possible to access our files from the dead PC again?
Now, if your Windows won't boot, don't despair. Here, we will show you how to effectively recover data when PC won't boot.
Part 1 How to Recover Data When PC Won't Boot
Losing your data because Windows computer won't boot?
In general, if you have backup files, you can easily and quickly get lost files back when Windows won't boot.
Nowadays, experienced users usually back up their important files regularly in the event of any accidents. Thus, if they lose important data, they can recover them from backup files quickly and easily. And, according to a survey, more and more users like using MiniTool ShadowMaker to back up disk and restore computer once a disaster occurs, like system crash, hard drive failure, and more.
However, what if there is no backup file? In this case, you can try using a professional data recovery software to recover files when Windows won't boot.
Note: if you don't care about high data recovery fees as well as data security, you can turn to data recovery companies to restore lost files from a PC that won't turn on.
MiniTool Power Data Recovery, a green, professional and read-only data recovery software developed by famous software development company based in Canada, is recommended here. By using this all-in-one yet read-only tool, you can effectively recover lost data after boot disk failure without affecting the original data.
Method 1: MiniTool Power Data Recovery Boot Disk Recovers Data When PC Won't Boot
Here, to recover files from an external hard drive that won't boot, you can try using MiniTool Power Data Recovery Boot Disk, for this tool can help users effectively and safely recover lost data when operating system is damaged.
Next, let's see the detailed steps to retrieve data from hard drive that crashed.
Step 1: Make Power Data Recovery Bootable Disk by Using Bootable Media Builder
- Download MiniTool Power Data Recovery Bootable Edition, and install it on a normal computer. After that, connect your CD/DVD Disc or USB flash drive to computer.
- Run Bootable Media Builder to get the following window.
- Here, for instance, if you want to create Power Data Recovery bootable flash drive, you can choose Build Boot Flash Drive, and select the suitable flash drive from Flash drive list, and then click Next Button. Note: please back up all important data on the USB drive in advance, because all its data will be deleted.
- Click Yes when you see the warning: "The selected flash drive will be formatted. All your data on this drive will be destroyed. Are you sure you want to continue?"
- Finally, unplug flash drive safely after building a bootable flash drive.
Step 2: Boot Your PC from the Burned MiniTool Bootable Disk
- Connect the burned MiniTool bootable disk to your damaged PC before starting the computer to recover data when Windows won't boot.
- Enter the BIOS and then set Bootable Disc as the 1st boot device and save configuration changes.
- Then, you will see the following window - Welcome to MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
IMPORTANT: If you need to save the recovered files to a removable disk, please connect it to your computer now.
- Finally, you will get its main interface as follows.
Step 3: Recover Lost Data When PC Won't Boot
- Select Damaged Partition Recovery in the main interface of MiniTool Power Data Recovery Boot Disk.
In general, MiniTool Power Data Recovery Boot Disk is no less powerful than Windows edition Power Data Recovery in light of function. Aside from CD/DVD Recovery module is not supported, Power Data Recovery Boot Disk supports four data recovery modules: Undelete Recovery, Damaged Partition Recovery, Lost Partition Recovery and Digital Media Recovery. Here, to recover lost data from dead computer, we can try using Damaged Partition Recovery. Theoretically, as long as the partition exists, we can recover lost data by using this module.
- Select the drive containing lost data, and then click Full Scan button.
Note: In this window, you can make use of the Settings feature. With this feature, you can make the program scan needed files only by file systems and file types, as shown below.
- Select all needed files and save them on a safe place. And, you can preview pictures before saving, as shown below.
See! With MiniTool Power Data Recovery Boot Disk, we can effectively retrieve data from hard drive without OS. Here, I guess you might be wondering:
"Is there an even easier way to recover files from a dead computer?"
OR CORUSER, THE ANSWER IS POSITIVE.
Method 2: MiniTool Power Data Recovery Recovers Data When PC Won't Boot
In general, if you don't want to recover lost files by using Power Data Recovery Boot Disk, you can try the following way to recover files from an external hard drive that won't boot.
- Remove your original hard drive from your dead PC, and then connect it to another normal computer as a secondary drive.
- Download the latest free data recovery software – MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free Edition V7.0 and install it on computer. Note: Do not install it on the drive that contains lost data.
Step 1: Launch MiniTool Power Data Recovery and then click Damaged Partition Recovery to retrieve data from hard drive that crashed.
Step 2: Select the hard drive where data loss appears, and then click Full Scan button.
Step 3: Check all needed files, and then click Save button to store them on a safe place.
NOTE: The free edition of MiniTool Power Data Recovery can only recover 1GB data. If you want to recover more data, you had better choose the personal edition. Or, you can directly get MiniTool Power Data Recovery Personal License + Boot Disk by clicking the following button and enjoy some discounts.
After all operations are done, you have recovered lost data when PC won't boot.
Fortunately, MiniTool Solution Ltd. released MiniTool Mac Data Recovery. It is a read-only and professional Mac data recovery software that can help you effectively recover lost files from Mac with ease. As the best data recovery software for Mac, MiniTool offers 4 recovery modules to recover lost data easily and quickly. Read this post "You're Able To Recover Data From Dead MacBook, That's Impressive" to know more details.
"Good News! By using MiniTool Power Data Recovery, I quickly and effectively recovered lost files when PC won't boot without bringing any damage to the original data."Click to tweet
After learning how to recover files from an external hard drive that won't boot without damaging original data, let's see some things we should do when our Windows PC won't boot.
Part 2 What to Do When Windows Won't Boot
There are few things more frustrating than a computer that won't boot up. In general, PC won't boot is a common symptom with a variety of causes. (Here, I guess you might be wondering: "How to Figure out Why a Computer Won't Boot?")
However, what should we do if our Windows refuses to boot? Here are few things we can do if we encounter the Windows won't boot issue.
1. Check Whether Something Has Been Changed
If your Windows won't boot, the first thing you should do is to think about changes you have made with your PC recently. Did you recently install a new hardware driver? Did you connect a new hardware component to your computer? Did you open your computer's case and do something?
If the hardware driver is buggy and the new hardware is incompatible, you might encounter the Windows won't boot issues. Or, if you accidentally unplugged something while working on your computer, your PC won't boot.
2. Check the Power Supply
In general, battery issues could be the source of your system's inability to boot properly. This is one of the most common problems. While checking the power supply, you also should check the fuse inside the PSU itself. Remove it from your PC, and then remove the metal case to check if that's the problem.
3. Check the Screen
On the other hand, do not forget to check your computer monitor. If your computer seems to power on but your screen stays black, you should ensure your monitor is powered on and the cable connecting to your computer's case is plugged in securely at both ends.
4. Fix Some Errors
- Windows Starts and Back Screen
What should you do if your PC is powering on but you get a black screen that says something like "NTLDR Is Missing" or "Operating System not found" or other messages?
How to Fix: NTLDR Is Missing
5 Perfect Solutions to Getting Missing Operating System Back
- Windows Starts and Blue Screens or Freezes
Have you ever heard of the blue screen of death? In general, most of Windows users would have encountered with BSOD. For instance, for Windows 10 users, the Blue Screen of Death could appear after update, such as software update, driver update, and system update. As a result, their PC cannot boot. Fortunately, you can know how to solve this issue through this post: Windows 10 Blue Screen of Death – You Can Quickly Fix It.
Of course, there are other error messages you might encounter when PC won't boot, such as Black Screen of Death, Boot Device Not Found, etc.
5. Reinstall Windows
You may be facing either a software or hardware problem, if Windows seems to start booting but fails partway through.
In this case, you can try reinstalling Windows to fix this issue. However, if PC still cannot boot after reinstalling, your PC likely has a hardware problem.
Losing data because PC won't boot? In general, you needn't worry too much about lost data, for MiniTool Power Data Recovery can help you effectively recover data when PC won't boot without damaging original data. You can effectively recover lost data from a dead computer as long as you try using the steps I outlined in the article.
If you have any question or suggestion about MiniTool Power Data Recovery, you can send us emails to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks in advanced!
Common problems related to partition recovery and our solutions:
- How to Recover Data after Boot Disk Failure
- Users do not need to worry about boot partition data recovery.
- Data recovery software boot CD can help recover lost data when operating system can not boot normally.
- Boot CD data recovery software can recover lost data without starting computer.
- File recovery boot disk enables users to recover lost file when system fails to boot.