Solved - How to Recover Files Lost after Cut and Paste
- Lost Files in Cut, Copy and Paste Transfer
- How to Recover Files Lost in Cut and Paste
- Overview of Cut, Copy and Paste Files
- 3 Valuable Tips
- Bottom Line
- Related Articles
- User Comments
Lost Files in Cut, Copy and Paste TransferHow do you transfer data from your PC to removable devices like USB flash drive, memory card, etc. or vice versa? According to a survey, many users are turning to copy, cut, and paste features to transfer data. However, some users reported that their data are lost while transferring files through the use of cut as well as paste commands, and they don't know how to recover files lost after cut and paste. Right here, let's see a true example from answers.microsoft.com:
Lost files in an interrupted cut and paste
Hi! If anyone could help I'd be really grateful, I'm hopeless with computers:
I was moving my music library from an external hard drive to my new PC and thought I'd hit skip when asked to confirm a file overwrite. Must have hit cancel, the transfer stopped and have now no idea how to find and recover the files. They are not in the original folder, nor the target folder. It appears that they're on my hard drive somewhere as there is about 50G there that wasn't before in properties, but I cannot find them in a folder, or by searching the computer.
As a matter of fact, before recovering data, we had better know why data are lost after copy, cut and paste, which can help us to perfectly get missing data back and prevent it from happening again.
In general, there are some reasons that result in loss of files due to unsuccessful cut paste file transfer.
- Unexpected Shutdown: Power failure is one of the most common problems that interrupt file moving process. If your system shut down suddenly due to some reasons when you are transferring files from one drive to another one using cut paste option, then you lose all files that were being transferred from source storage drive.
- Improper Removal of Storage Drives: as we know, USB flash drives are frequently used to transfer data from one system to another. However, you will lose files by forcefully reject it when cut paste process is in progress.
- Of course, there are some other possible reasons including improper system termination, hardware failure, etc.
In a word, no matter what the cause, the first thing we should do is to look for a suitable recovery solution to recover cut files as soon as possible.
How to Recover Files Lost in Cut and PasteIn general, users who successfully recovered cut files from hard drive, USB drive, memory card and other devices always turn to a piece of professional data recovery software. (Note: here, if you don't care about high recovery fees as well as data security, you could turn to professional data recovery companies.)
Now, however, you might be wondering:
"How do I find an excellent data recovery tool equipped with high security?"
Right here, if you don't have any idea, you can try using MiniTool Power Data Recovery. It is recommended by most common users, for it offers many excellent features.
- All-in-one data recovery software
- 5 different data recovery modules can help recover files that have been lost in a variety of ways
- Support various storage devices data recovery, including internal/external hard drive, memory card, USB flash drive, pen drive…
- Support various file types, such as document, image, video, audio, email…
- Support many operating sysems: Windows XP/7/8/10 and Windows Server OS
Next, let's see how to restore lost data with this professional and all-in-one data recovery software. (Here, let's take Windows 7 for example.)
Steps to Recover Data after Cut and Paste
Step 1: download MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free Edition, install it on computer, and then launch it to get its main interface as follows.
Note: never install it on the drive containing lost data, for this may cause irretrievable data loss.
Step 2: select a suitable recovery module in the main interface, where five relatively independent data recovery features are shown.
At this time, you can select a suitable one to recover lost data. To be specific:
You can click Undelete Recovery feature to recover deleted files. Next, scan the drive containing lost data, and then save needed data.
However, if you cannot find out your needed lost data with this module, you can try clicking Damaged Partition Recovery module to recover cut files. To be honest, as long as the partition exists and lost files are not overwritten, you can try this module to get cut files back.
Step 3: Select the target drive you like to operate and then tap Full Scan to through scan it, or you can click Settings to specify needed file systems as well as file types before scanning this drive.
Step 4: Select all needed files and choose a safe place to store them. It is recommended to store selected data on another drive. Otherwise, the lost data could be overwritten.
Note: in this window, you can preview filename, seize, creation data, modified data and other information, as shown below.
Thus, all work has been done.
Maybe such brief introduction cannot help you understand this tool as well as its powerful function clearly. Want to know more, the following video is worth recommending.
I used this tool to effectively recover lost data after cut and paste with ease.
Tips: the free edition can only recover 1GB data. If you wish to recover more than 1GB data, you can click the following button and enjoy some discounts to get its personal edition to break the limitation.
Summary: MiniTool Power Data Recovery, a piece of green yet professional software developed by MiniTool Solution Ltd., is indeed a good recovery solution for us to recover cut files from SD card, USB flash drive, and other storage devices. In addition to Undelete Recovery and Damaged Partition Recovery feature, this program also offers other excellent features (Lost Partition Recovery, Digital Media Recovery and CD/DVD Recovery) to help effectively cope with data loss situations. For instance, it can recover data from drive with CRC error.
"With MiniTool Power Data Recovery, I successfully recovered files lost in cut and paste without affecting the original data with ease. And I hope you can try it to get your missing data back…"Click to tweet
Now, after seeing data recovery after cut and paste failure, let's learn how to transfer data effectively to avoid the risk of data loss.
Overview of Cut, Copy and Paste Files
How to Cut, Copy and Paste Files
It is believed that everyone knows how to copy, cut and paste files or folders. Here, however, if you don't know, don't feel panic since you can find the details here: right-click target files/folders, and choose cut or copy. (Or, you can select files and press Ctrl&X/Ctrl&C.) Ok, now that you've selected the item and copied/cut it into USB drive or other places, and you just need to place your cursor in the location you wish to paste the content, then right-click and select Paste from the resulting drop-down menu. (Or, you can press Ctrl&V in the desired location.)
Now, you know how to cut, copy and paste files, but do you know the difference between copying and cutting?
Cutting Files VS Copying Files
As we know, whichever you choose, you can directly transfer your files from one place to another, since when you copy or cut something, it will get sored in the clipboard and you can create a copy of it. However, if you choose Cut and Paste, the files will remove from the original place and then it will be pasted in another place; if you choose Copy and Paste, you will have 2 copies of files with exactly the same name, size and contents.
In a word, if you want to reduce the risk of data loss, you had better choose Copy and Paste. However, if you find your data are lost caused by some unknown reasons during the process of cutting files, you can try using the Damaged Partition Recovery feature of MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
Copy, cut and paste feature indeed can help to transfer files, but it is not a wise choice for transferring a large number of files, or even all Windows data. Therefore, what should we do if we want to move or copy all data saved in the hard drive? Can we quickly and effectively copy large files without affecting the original data?
Want to know the best way?
How to Copy Large Files Quickly
Here, MiniTool Partition Wizard, a green, professional and simple partitioning tool developed by MiniTool Solution Ltd., is recommended here, for it enjoys more than 20,000,000 downloads. And, this tool not only can copy single partition containing massive important data but also can back up all Windows data as well as OS without affecting the original data. Here, we take copy disk for example to help you learn more details about this tool.
1) In the main window of this professional partitioning freeware, select the disk which needs copying and activate Copy Disk function from one of 3 places boxed by red line. Here, we choose "Copy Disk" from the left pane to continue:
2) Select the disk that will save the copy of the source disk as the target disk and then click "Next" button. Note: the target disk should be large enough to hold all content on source disk, and you also need to back up all important data on this target disk in advance. Otherwise, the original data will be overwritten.
3) Choose a copying method to decide the layout of target disk and then click "Next".
4) Click "Finish" to go back to the main interface.
5) Click "Apply" and tap "Yes" to perform all changes.
Twitter new skills
Thus, all work has been done. In a word, if you want to copy large files, copy all Windows data, or copy OS without data loss, you can try using MiniTool Partition Wizard because of its high security, excellent performance and simple operation.
3 Valuable TipsHere, at the end of this post, we want to share 3 preventive tips for you to perfectly carry out data recovery after cut and paste failure.
1. You are strongly suggested to immediately stop using your PC if you realize file or data loss.
2. You had better equip your computer with UPS device to prevent loss of data due to sudden power failure while transferring files from one storage drive to another.
3. It is recommended to make use of "Copy and Paste" method instead of "Cut and Paste" to avoid accidental data loss.
Twitter what you find
Bottom LineAfter seeing the above introduction, I guess you might have a basic understanding of how to copy or move files. However, as we know, data loss is inevitable. So, how to quickly and effectively recover missing data after cut and paste failure?
Now, you can try using MiniTool Power Data Recovery. With this professional and simple data recovery software, you not only can recover data lost in cut and paste, but also can recover data from lost partitions, recover data after factory reset, recover data from 0 bytes drive…. Here, if you still have some doubts about this professional tool, you can download its free edition and have a try. It will surprise all of you.
Like this post, share it to help more users.
Should you have any questions or suggestions, please leave it in the below comments or directly send to [email protected]. Thanks a lot.