How To Recover Google Chrome History Files – An Ultimate Tutorial
- Part 1 – Recover Google Chrome History Files with Data Recovery Program
- Part 2 – Six Other Useful Methods for Chrome History Recovery
- Part 3 – The Most Common Way to Delete Google Chrome History
- Part 4 – Conclusion
- Related Articles
- User Comments
As a web browser developed by Google Inc., Google Chrome is used widely by people all over the world; it's simple in design but efficient in web browsing & fast in speed. Like any other web browsers, Google Chrome will generate the so-called web browsing history, which refers to the list of web pages a user has visited recently and associated data such as page title and time of visit, according to Wikipedia. The history files help to remind users where they have been on the web and help them go back to the accidentally closed page quickly and accurately.
Chrome history view:
An easier way to see Chrome history: press "Ctrl" + "H" on the keyboard in an opening Google Chrome.
Well, the thing is history files of Google Chrome or other browsers may be lost suddenly, without leaving you a chance to be well prepared. What are you supposed to do under this circumstance? If the page information is important to you, you must be eager to recover Google Chrome history files, we guess.
Having little or no experience in file recovery, many users would like to acquire an easy way to recover Chrome browsing history. In order to satisfy their needs, we recommend MiniTool Power Data Recovery, a user-friendly data recovery program. To be honest, if you don't trust it, you can download the free edition immediately to have a try. And please don't worry, we'll tell you the exact steps to recover Chrome history with this program.
After that, we'll also introduce other ways to carry out Chrome history file recovery. You can compare them with the first method and then choose a solution that best suits you. At the end of this article, we're going to add some relevant knowledge and you can choose to read with interest.
Part 1 – Recover Google Chrome History Files with Data Recovery Program
Sometimes, the Google Chrome History is lost due to uncertain reasons. But in most cases, it is you that should be responsible for the history file loss; it's easy for you to delete/clear the Chrome history on your computer. Now, we'll focus on how to recover deleted history files in Google Chrome totally by yourself.
How to Recover Deleted Google History
Here's how I recover deleted history on my computer:
Step one: open recycle bin to check whether the deleted history files are stored here temporarily. If you find needed files, please select them and choose "Restore" from the right click menu to complete recycle bin recovery; if you can't find any files you need, it means that you have permanently deleted browsing history.
Step two: in order to recover permanently deleted files in Windows, you should get a powerful recovery program. MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free Edition V7.0 is a good choice. Download it and get it installed on your computer and then you can run it to see the following interface.
Step three: click on the first functional module – "Undelete Recovery", which provides quick scan to recover deleted files. After that, select the drive which includes the deleted history files and press "Scan" button in the lower right corner to start scanning the drive.
1. The Google Chrome history files are generally kept in this path by default - "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default", so you need to select C: as the target drive in this step. (You can type "chrome://version/" in the Chrome address bar to see the detailed information including profile path)
2. If you have exported the Google Chrome bookmarks to a local drive before they get lost, you need to scan the specific drive to recover Google Chrome bookmarks.
Step four: wait for a while until the scan has been finished. The scan result will be listed in the software interface automatically. At this time, you need to find the "Default" folder. After that, choose to check the whole folder to recover or just to choose some of the subfolders and files to recover. At last, press "Save" button to see a prompt window, in which you are asked to set a directory to save files. Please make your decision and press "OK" to confirm.
1. Please make sure that the free space left in the target storage directory is enough for you to recover deleted internet history.
2. If the total size of history files you have selected to recover is larger than 1GB (or if you want to recover other files more than 1GB), you'll see the following "File Saving Limit" window. As you can see from the prompt, the size of current selected files exceeds the file saving limit for free edition (1GB). Therefore, you have to upgrade your copy of MiniTool Power Data Recovery to break the limit so as to complete the recovery.
Considering that you may be desire to know the way to recover your bookmark files saved in a drive that becomes inaccessible now, we'd like to share this post with you: "Hard Drive Is Not Accessible. Access Is Denied" Error – How To Fix. After reading the post, you'll know the reasons for causing a drive to become not accessible and meanwhile, you'll know the basic ways to deal with this problem.
Part 2 – Six Other Useful Methods for Chrome History Recovery
In addition to relying on data recovery software, there are also many other ways to recover deleted history from Google Chrome. Here, we mainly summarize six methods for you.
Method One: Make Use of DNS Cache
Firstly, please make sure that your computer is connected to the internet. Secondly, please remember not to shut down or restart your computer after the Chrome history is deleted or lost. Thirdly, follow these steps to see deleted history on Chrome:
- Press "Windows + R" to open the Run dialog.
- Type "cmd" into the text box and click on "OK" button to confirm. (You can also type "cmd" into the Windows search text box shown after you clicked on Windows Start button and then press "Enter" on the keyboard)
- Type the command – "ipconfig /displaydns" – and then press "Enter" on the keyboard.
- Wait a moment for the command to complete.
After that, all your recently visited websites will be displayed; you can view them and find back those history records important to you.
Method Two: Resort to System Restore
Another easy way to recover Chrome browsing history is turning to system restore. Every time when the internet history was deleted, the system restore is able to recover it. Please follow the tutorial given below to carry out the recovery:
- Click on the Start button and type "system restore" into the search text box.
- Press "Enter" on the keyboard or click on the feature from the search result to open it. (Another way to open this feature is: clicking on the Start button -> expanding "All Programs" -> opening "Accessories" folder -> opening "System Tools" subfolder -> choosing "System Restore" in it)
- Take a look at the previous versions you have and select the date you'd like to restore your system to.
- Wait for the system to complete your instructions automatically. When all operations are finished, your computer will reboot.
After the rebooting, you can open Google Chrome to check whether the internet history is back or not.
Method Three: Let Cookies Help You
You usually do not pay enough attention to cookies, but they are very important sometimes. Cookies are a group of small text files which are stored in the internet browser; all your user information & records for the web sites you have visited are included in the cookie files. So when you lose your Google Chrome browsing history, you may want to access cookies to see it.
- Open Google Chrome.
- Move your cursor to the upper right corner and click on more option (represented by three points arranged vertically), in order to customize and control Google Chrome.
- Click on "Settings" option and scroll to the bottom of the settings page to click on "Advanced" button.
- Choose and click "Content Settings" under "Privacy and security".
- Then, you'll see "Cookies" at the top of the list. Please click on it and find the information you need.
Tips: you may click on the "REMOVE ALL" button to clear them all.
Method Four: Get Help from My Activity
For Google Chrome which is logged in with a Google Account, its browsing history could be seen with the help of My Activity. With this tool, you can view & control activities on your account easily.
- Open "www.google.com" and type "My Activity" into the Google search box.
- Open the first result – "myactivity.google.com".
- Sign in with your Google Account. (if you have logged in Google Chrome all the time, you can skip this step since the account information will be synchronized automatically)
- Then, you'll see your exact activities and the related information.
After that, you can navigate to the certain activity to reach the goal of recovering deleted history on Google Account.
Method Five: Turn to Desktop Search Programs
As you can see clearly from the name, the desktop search programs are used to search users' files on the computer, instead of searching the internet. Firstly, you need to find a proper desktop search program. Then, install it to your computer correctly (you'd better choose another drive as the installation place). After that, you should type any keywords you can remember into the search box to search and recover related history files.
Method Six: View Deleted History via Log Files
For history files which have been deleted a long time ago, we can still recover them with the help of log files. In fact, the index.dat file is a database file that contains all of the web sites that you have ever visited. But, it is hidden on your computer. Once you can find the certain index.dat file, you're able to list every URL and every web page you have browsed. But before you start to search the file, you must change the settings to show hidden files and folders on computer.
The above content tells you how to view deleted history on Google Chrome by different ways; you should choose the one that is most suitable for your case.
Part 3 – The Most Common Way to Delete Google Chrome History
There are also some cases in which you don't want others to see your browsing history. On this occasion, deleting the browsing history of Chrome on all devices that you have signed in with Google Account is the most direct way. Here are the operations you should complete to delete the browsing history:
- Open the device and then open Chrome on it.
- In the top right corner, please click on the "More" option.
- Navigate to history and then choose "History" from its submenu. (Or you can press "Ctrl" + "H" to open History page directly)
- Click on "Clear browsing data" in the left pane.
- Check all items listed below and set the time period to be "the beginning of time".
- Click on "CLEAR BROWSING DATA" button.
After that, you can protect your privacy by deleting the Chrome browsing history completely.
Part 4 – Conclusion
It's possible that the Google Chrome history file is lost or deleted suddenly, and you still need to visit some of the pages again to get important information. This could happen to anyone, of course. So you'd better be well prepared before that really occurs to you.
In view of this, we provide total 7 ways to help you recover Google Chrome history files. You can get familiar with them firstly and then choose one or more to recover Chrome history in time when necessary. Yes, the first method – finding deleted history on my computer with MiniTool Power Data Recovery – is the most recommended one.
After that, we have also told you how to delete Google Chrome browsing history clearly and you can follow the tutorial step by step when you need to do such work. We hope you all can finish what you want to do easily after reading this post.