Solution to Data Recovery after Reinstalling Windows 10/8.1/7
- What Is System Reinstallation
- Why You Reinstall Operating System
- How to Recover Data after Windows Reinstallation
- Related Articles
- User Comments
What Is System ReinstallationSystem reinstallation refers to format system partition (usually partition C), and then copy new system into it. When reinstalling operating system, user always encounter various installing ways like clean installation, upgrade installation, install under Windows or DOS… Definitions are as follows:
- Clean installation refers to install another operating system beyond previous operating system, namely, to format the whole hard drive and then reinstall system. Process of clean installation should be: data backup - format hard drive- reinstall system - reinstall applications - copy data back. Clean installation is of high safety and is harmless to computer.
- Upgrade installation refers to upgrade previous operating system, for example, upgrade Windows 98 up to Windows 2000 or Windows XP which bears advantages of retaining original programs, data, settings and of few compatible problems, disadvantage of difficult to recover once upgraded.
- Installation under Windows is the simplest installing method which merely requires inserting installing CD and running installing program, familiar in interface and simple in operation.
- Installation under DOS is an installing way for computer masters, which is performed under a heap of DOS prompts. Generally, user only need to set it as CD driver steering in BIOS and start system with Windows installing CD, then installing program would run automatically; or user could manually run Setup.exe program under Windows.
Why You Reinstall Operating SystemWhen will you consider reinstalling operating system? Normally, system reinstallation happens due to the following aspects:
- Improper operations that lead to system damage;
- Virus attack and Trojans lead to boot file damage or system crash;
- To optimize system when the operating system runs slow;
- To install another advanced version of Windows for system upgrade;
- Other reasons…
However, reinstalling operating system is not as easy as you have thought. To be honest, reinstalling system may bring data loss to your hard drive in some cases:
"I was using Windows 8.1 then upgraded to Windows 10, but all of my personal files has deleted and I tried best of recovery programs and they're not helped me. So, if I roll back to my previous version of Windows, does my personal files recovered? How can I recover data after reinstalling windows 10?"
The answer to the fist question is definitely NO. Rollback doesn't make any sense to recover personal files. In fact a rollback would make chances of recovering files less as you would be writing more data to the disk. So if you don't have backup and can't recover them they are lost unfortunately.
Recommend: Get the solution for Windows 10 data recovery: How To Recover Data After System Upgrade to Windows 10
The next question comes to how to recover data after reinstalling windows 10/8.1/7/XP? Reliable data recovery software should be a wise decision. And fortunately, we have MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
How to Recover Data after Windows ReinstallationMiniTool Power Data Recovery is efficient, concise and green software developed by MiniTool Solution Ltd.. It can recover documents, images, videos, audios, emails etc. from hard drives, memory sticks, micro SD cards, and so on. MiniTool Power Data Recovery is most commonly used under Windows XP, Windows 7/8.1/10, Windows Server 2003/2008/2012, etc. It is functional software, small in size and harmless to operating system and hard drives.
To recover files after reinstalling Windows, first of all press the button to download this freeware and then install it on your computer.
1. Five modules are available after entering this software: "Undelete Recovery", "Damaged Partition Recovery", "Lost Partition Recovery", "Digital Media Recovery" and "CD/DVD Recovery". Annotation comes up when putting mouse pointer on each module. Here we choose "Damaged Partition Recovery" to recover deleted/lost files after reinstalling Windows because this is the most powerful module for data recovery.
2. Software will automatically list corresponding partition information. There are two buttons on the right, one is "Open" which is employed to scan files when disk partition runs normally; the other one is "Full Scan" which is used to full scan disk partition and search data when disk is severely damaged or formatted, so here we choose full scan a partition that data loss happens.
Note: If you encounter partition loss after system reinstallation, you should turn to "Lost Partition Recovery" and scan the whole disk.
3. Power Data Recovery will list all data it has found and you are expected to check whether they are the desired data.
4. Finally select the right files and click "Save" to store them in a safe location (another hard drive or another partition). After that, the recovery will be completed soon.
Please note the free edition only allows you to recover up to 1GB data (check how much data you are able to recover free at the bottom of this freeware). If you have got more to recover, you will have to purchase a license to break this limit.
This is the end of how to recover data after reinstalling Windows 10/8.1/7. Should you have any question, please feel free to leave us comments below to let us know.
Common problems related to partition recovery and our solutions:
- How to recover data after fdisk?
- How to recover data after hard drive crash?
- How to recover data after partition?
- How to recover data after system restore?
- How to recover Canon CRW and CR2 photo files?
- How to recover Olympus ORF photo files?
- How to recover Sony SRF photo files?
- How to recover Nikon NEF photo files?