USB Flash Drive Not Recognized – Don't Worry Too Much
- Recover Data from USB Flash Drive
- 9 Reasons to Tell You Why USB Flash Drive Is Not Recognized
- About USB Flash Drive Not Recognized Phenomena
- Related Articles
- User Comments
In fact, there are always some users stuck in USB flash drive not recognized error. If you search this in Google, you'll find plenty of companions. How such problem is generated? Is there any way to fix it? In the following content, we'll answer those 2 questions for you. All you need to remember is: stay calm no matter what happens since a cool head is the decisive factor to make you quickly go out of the woods.
Now, please purchase a license for MiniTool Power Data Recovery and roll up your sleeves to start USB flash drive data recovery on your own.
This software is considered as one of the best flash data recovery software for Windows by tens of thousands of users and enterprises, so you can trust it! It is able to help you recover data from USB flash drive after data loss was caused by various reasons.
Note: you can also download the free edition to have a try firstly, if you doubt the ability of our software. But keep in mind that the free edition can only allow you to recover 1GB of data. If you find your needed data with our software, but discover that the total size of them exceeds 1GB, you have no choice but to buy a license afterwards.
Want to complete free data recovery on USB device, but don't know how? Don't worry, this If This Can't Help You With Free USB Data Recovery, Nothing Will post will tell you all.
Recover Data from USB Flash Drive
Before you try any methods to fix the problem, we strongly suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to computer and then open Windows Disk Management to see whether it shows up here. If you can make it appear in Disk Management, you're able to recover data from this USB flash drive.
Now, launch the free edition of software or upgrade it with the license you purchase and start USB recovery.
Step 1: confirm the status of your USB flash drive and choose corresponding functional module from following main interface.
Step 2: click on the suitable module to enter. If you're not sure about the status of your USB flash drive, please click on "Damaged Partition Recovery" as long as your partition is not missing (you can see it in the partition list). Otherwise, choose "Lost Partition Recovery" instead. Then, select the USB flash drive to perform a full scan on it by clicking on "Full Scan" button in the lower right corner.
Step 3: check all the data you want to recover and press "Save" to set a safe storage location for them.
Tweet New Skills
Note: if your USB flash drive is not recognized on a computer no matter what you do, you need to read the following content to know the exact cause and corresponding solutions.
9 Reasons to Tell You Why USB Flash Drive Is Not Recognized
A great number of USB flash drive users are wondering how could their drive not detected by computer or other equipment all of a sudden. They need to know the exact causes so that the device not recognized problem could be solved and the device itself can be used again.
According to researches, we found this problem is mainly generated by the following 9 reasons.
8 Common Reasons Why USB Device Is Not Showing Up & How to Fix
1. USB device is damaged physically: convenient as USB flash drive is, it often damaged by frequent plug in and out, magnetic interference, high temperature and other factors.
If your USB device encounters hardware failure, you can check the broken component and replace it with a new one or turn to professional recovery companies to recover data from it.
2. USB device is disabled in CMOS: this situation is commonly seen in public places like café, net-bar, school computer room and office. USB interface is disabled for the safety of computer; it's very understandable.
Enter CMOS -> find USB device from related setting items in motherboard -> change the state from disable to enable.
3. USB driver is not installed properly: this is considered as one of the most widespread failures occurred on USB flash drive device. After the USB device was inserted into computer, the system will prompt "Found New Hardware" and start to install the driver.
However, if we cancel the installation process for feeling risky or troublesome, it will lead to failure in loading USB drive normally. Thus, this USB flash drive can't be recognized by system.
Open Windows Disk Management -> refresh corresponding interface to see whether the USB drive will be reloaded and reinstalled or just find the USB device with a question mark -> right click to uninstall it -> reconnect USB device to computer to install.
4. The OS (Operating System) used in computer is excessively simplified: in general, the built-in driver package of common Microsoft OS already contains a lot of drivers approved by Microsoft. So, it's able to identify many device drivers automatically, of course, including USB device driver. Nevertheless, in various simplified versions of Windows OS, the corresponding drivers are also simplified.
Find the official driver or make use of a third-party driver tool.
5. The power supply of USB port is not sufficient: each USB device can only work normally under certain power supply conditions. If the USB port provides insufficient power supply, those signs will appear – the USB indicator does not flash or its state is abnormal; system fails to boot as usual after USB device is connected to computer; the content in USB device can't be accessed or the access speed is much slower than before.
Change a USB port or provide separate external power supply to USB device. Or when choosing from various USB flash drives, you could buy a low-powered one.
6. The drive letter assigned to USB flash drive has been already occupied by another drive in computer: if "J" is assigned to your USB flash drive, but now you connect it to a computer in which the drive letter "J" is used by another local drive, drive letter conflict will be caused at this time. And it will prevent your USB drive from being recognized by this computer as an available storage device.
Install MiniTool Partition Wizard to computer -> run it and right click on USB drive -> choose "Change Letter" function -> assign an unused drive letter to the device under guidance. Or you can choose other partition management tools to finish this.
7. Manufacturers of the newly installed USB device used unconventional flash memory chip and technology to make the flash drive: this situation can be mainly divided into two types.
a). in order to protect their own chip technology, some large companies choose to use non-standard chip or encrypt data read and write mechanism; or they just decide not to share chip parameters with others, stopping USB driver writers from writing corresponding driver.
b). some small companies or illegal small workshops create their USB device with inferior-quality fittings.
Go to manufacturers' official website to download the latest USB driver package or find the original CD driver.
8. Virus attacked USB flash drive: if your flash drive was exchanging data with other devices which are infected by virus or some of the files you saved in the flash drive contains virus, it is very possible that this drive can't be detected successfully. This is because virus may damage the driver or files which are needed for the normal working of device.
If virus is detected in flash drive, you'd better seek ways to recover data from USB device before trying to kill virus with powerful antivirus program.
We can easily fall victim to virus and it's almost unable to avoid virus infection. So we provide feasible solutions for you to recover files deleted by virus on your own.
1 Special Reason Why USB Flash Drive Is Not Detected by Xbox 360
If the USB flash drive is used on Xbox 360 when you find flash drive can't be recognized, there's a special reason other than above mentioned ones. That is the first partition of USB flash drive is not a FAT32 partition.
Since Xbox 360 could only recognize the USB flash drive under the condition that its first drive is formatted as FAT32, we must check the file system of USB flash drive partitions to see whether it meets the identification condition or not. After confirming the cause, you're able to take measures to make it right.
Adopt MiniTool Partition Wizard – the free partition management tool to fix.
If you find your USB flash drive is not recognized on Xbox 360, please check whether the first partition of it is formatted as FAT32 or not. If it is a FAT32 partition, you need to try above methods to fix it; if it is formatted as NTFS, you need to convert it to FAT32 with an advanced edition of MiniTool Partition Wizard.
Run MiniTool Partition Wizard -> select your USB flash drive -> choose "Convert NTFS to FAT" from left action panel or right-click menu -> click "Apply" in upper left corner to confirm change.
Just high-five yourself if you have solved your problem after reading above content. However, if accidents happen while you're trying to fix the flash drive not detected problem, data saved in USB flash drive are easy to be put in danger. So please be careful enough.
About USB Flash Drive Not Recognized Phenomena
USB interface is used more and more widely in daily life and work. As you may know, many of our frequently used devices, such as printer, camera, mp3, mp4, reader and game console, tend to have a USB interface. This helps to eliminate unnecessary troubles users often come across when connecting USB flash drive with computer or other devices.
In a word, USB interface makes it a breeze to exchange data among different computers and devices.
As far as we know, either USB flash drives or external hard drives are easy to use. But there's great chance that you may find yourself stuck in this situation: after connecting the USB flash drive to a Windows PC or another device through a USB port, you disappointedly discover it can't be recognized.
USB flash drive not recognized problem is not rare; hundreds of thousands of users are facing or have met the same situation. Of course, all of them want to fix it easily and safely, but it turns out that more than half of them failed. That is why we're writing this.
4 Specific Cases to Show USB Flash Drive Not Recognized Problem
"When I plug it in my computer, it says Not Recognized. For fear that I may make all the files gone, I dare not try any methods to try to solve the problem. I only tried connecting it to multiple other computers and I'm sure it's definitely an issue with the flash drive and not the USB ports. The drive itself actually doesn't matter, but we really need to find a way to pull all her documents off the drive."
I have a SanDisk Cruzer 16GB USB flash drive and it is not recognized by my HP dv7 laptop. A Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system is running on my computer. Why is this happening and how can I resolve the problem?
My Acer Aspire One computer has a Windows 7 Starter and when I connect my USB flash drive to it, nothing happens. I can't find it anywhere in my computer. I have even borrowed a USB flash drive from my friend to see if it would be recognized. Yet, flash drive is still not detected. How can I get my computer to recognize the USB flash drive?
I just bought a new 16GB USB flash drive for Xbox 360 and when I go to check memory, I suddenly find my USB flash drive not detected on Xbox 360. Is there any way to make the Xbox 360 recognize it?
Share With Friends
When you meet USB flash drive not recognized problem, the first thing you should do is trying your best to recover data from USB drive; you're suggested to use MiniTool Power Data Recovery – a powerful and clean recovery tool to get back all lost data. It only takes 3 easy steps to successfully regain your data no matter they're saved in removable disk like USB flash drive or computer internal hard drive.
Afterwards, you may try possible solutions to fix the problem and make the USB flash drive usable again.
Should you have any questions or suggestions, please contact us via email, telephone or fax. Or you can follow us on Facebook or Google + to get more information about data recovery or disk management.