Breaking News – SD Card Recovery Can Be Solved Perfectly
- Part 1 – 3 Solutions to SD Card Recovery
- Part 2 – Two Most Common Cases for SD Card Data Loss
- Part 3 – How to Avoid SD Card Recovery
- Users Comments
SD Card has become an indispensable part in this digital era, so more and more people use it to store digital media, to transfer data, to increase internal storage space of Android, and so on. However, in the daily use, many issues related to SD card arise, such as SD card data loss and corrupted memory card.
Noticing this, we decide to cover the solutions to SD card recovery and the most common situations when SD card data get lost. And then, we'll give some practical advices on how to avoid SD card data loss.
Part 1 – 3 Solutions to SD Card Recovery
SD card data loss happens frequently because it is relatively weak when compared with other storage drives. So we can find some people need to fix a corrupted SD card, some people just need to recover photos from a corrupted memory card and other want to know the way to recover deleted files in SD card. Considering this, we plan to offer 3 useful solutions to SD card data recovery and hope they can help you get out of trouble.
- All solutions here are based on the premise that the SD card can be recognized by Disk Management.
- Whenever the computer prompts you to format SD card, you should click "Cancel" before you recover data from SD card.
Rely on Professional Software for Memory Card Recovery
To be honest, recovering data from SD card is the safest way to work out SD recovery. Why? This is because any improper operations carried out after damage was found are likely to bring secondary damage to data, and will make it more difficult to recover data from SD card.
Thus, we offer a wonderful choice for SD card users – MiniTool Power Data Recovery. As one of the best software for SD card file recovery, MiniTool Power Data Recovery offers both free edition and advanced editions for you to choose. The free edition provides 1GB free recovery service; and you can use the free edition to scan the SD card to see whether the needed files can be found and then decide to buy or not.
Step 1: choose a suitable module from the main interface of MiniTool Power Data Recovery by clicking on it. For instance, if you need to recover deleted files from SD card, you should choose "Undelete Recovery"; once corrupted SD card recovery is needed or SD card is formatted mistakenly, you should choose "Damaged Partition Recovery".
- Undelete Recovery - focus on recovering deleted folders and files.
- Damaged Partition Recovery - specialized in recovering data from damaged, RAW or formatted partitions.
- Lost Partition Recovery - aims at recovering data from lost partition or deleted partition.
- Digital Media Recovery - designed to recover data from digital media like flash drive, digital camera, memory stick, memory card, iPod, etc..
- CD/DVD Recovery - can be used to recover data from CD & DVD disks.
Step 2: select the partition that represents your SD card in the following interface. Then, we advise you to click on "Full Scan" to recover files from SD card when it is corrupted.
Step 3: some possible partitions will be chosen and listed in MiniTool interface automatically. You can open those partitions one by one to check desired files. (If none of them contains the files you need, you can press "Back" button and tap "Yes" to choose other possible partitions to look through and recover SD card files.)
Step 4: at last, click "Save" button to select a safe location for storing the recovered files.
If you're recovering photos from SD card, you can click on "Preview" button in above interface to check whether it is the photo you need in advance.
In fact, the rest modules of this software are also very useful. And the operations are quite similar. So don't hesitate to get MiniTool Power Data Recovery when memory card data recovery or hard drive data recovery is needed. Believe it or not, this software deserves your trust.
Check SD Card for Errors
Step 1: right click SD card -> select "Properties" -> choose "Tools" -> click "Check Now". If this process can't be executed, you are suggested to try "chkdsk" to fix the problem.
Step 2: open Start menu -> type "command prompt" -> right-click on "Command Prompt" & choose to run it as administrator -> type "chkdsk /f *:" (/f represents a repair command and *: represents the drive letter of your SD card). Now, you only need to wait for the completion.
Step 3: when above step is finished, you can check the properties of SD card to see whether they are in normal condition or not. If they are normal, the SD card can finally be used without trouble, and all data can be found there.
Show Hidden Files
Step 1: open the SD which includes missing file -> click on "Tools" menu -> choose "Folder options".
Step 2: navigate to "View" -> check "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" (uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" if necessary) -> click on "OK" button to apply.
If the checkbox is not optional, you can try the attrib command: run "cmd" -> type "attrib -H -S *:\folder name /s /d" (*: means the specific drive letter of the drive) -> press "Enter". Please pay attention to the space between the letters and symbols.
Part 2 – Two Most Common Cases for SD Card Data Loss
SD Card Is Inaccessible
In many cases, an SD card can't be read normally even after it has been connected to phones/cameras/computers. In this case, you need to think carefully about what could be the possible causes for such phenomenon.
The following parts are the reasons we summarized:
- SD card damage: if the SD card itself is physically damaged, users will have no way to access the SD card. Thus, users should use and place SD card in a proper way.
- Virus intrusion: entry of virus either to your system or to your SD card might corrupt your SD card. Then it becomes difficult to access.
- Dust or oil stain exists on the surface of SD card: check the state of the metal area on SD card to see if they are in sound condition. If dust or oil stain is found, please use cotton (along with alcohol/water) to clean its surface gently.
- File system corruption: file system contains necessary information about all the file types of your SD card. It may get corrupted due to insufficient disk space during file system conversion or due to an interrupt caused during working process, making it impossible to access.
You should read Recover Data From Dead SD Card With This Easy And Safe Way to know more details if your SD card can't be read.
SD Card Becomes Empty
Despite of the issue "SD card is not accessible", there are times when you open an SD card but find nothing in it.
And such case could be caused by:
- Wrong deletion: wrong deletion happens all the time, and the deleted data cannot be found in Recycle Bin, which would cause data loss undoubtedly.
- Wrong formatting: formatting SD card without having a backup will cause data loss.
- Files are hidden: if the files in SD card are in hidden state, users cannot see them and would think of data loss.
- Partition is damaged: incorrect operations and virus attack may lead to empty SD card. And these could happen without noticing.
When you come across this problem, you can also refer to the methods mentioned in part 1 to try to fix.
Brief Introduction to SD Card
SD Card - also known as Security Digital Memory Card - was first put forwarded by Panasonic in 1999. Then Toshiba and SanDisk completed the substantive development. In 2000, these three companies finished the establishment of SD Association (Secure Digital Association), and it attracted a large number of companies to participate in, including IBM, Microsoft, Motorola, NEC, Samsung, and so on.
SD card SD card is the general term of full SD, mini SD and micro SD, and can be further divided into SD, SDHC and SDXC. Capacity range and disk format of those three types are:
- SD: up to 16GB, FAT12 and FAT16.
- SDHC: up to 32GB, FAT32.
- SDXC: up to 2TB, exFAT.
After years of development, SD card now is equipped with the features of portability, high performance and good security. The tycoons in SD card industry today are SanDisk and Kinston, and Samsung is also gaining its popularity in this field.
Part 3 – How to Avoid SD Card Recovery
Please pay attention to the following things in order to get rid of SD card data loss and avoid recovering SD card data.
Be Careful on SD Card Daily Use
First of all, put SD card in proper environment (with appropriate humidity, temperature and illumination) and be extremely carefully when you take it out from or put it back into digital devices.
Secondly, try to manage SD card data on computer if it's able to do so.
Thirdly, don't let strangers or the people you don't trust 100% to get access to your SD card.
Surely, you've got no "chance" to experience the work to recover data from SD card if you make strict compliance with these "rules".
Enable Write-protection to Avoid Data Loss
If users want to keep data in SD card safe, they can turn on write-protection. How to set the lock slider to make SD card locked or unlocked? Users can refer to the following picture:
The up position will unlock the card, enabling you to save and erase data on the card; while the down position will lock the card and enable write-protection. What does this mean? Well, if write-protection is enabled on the SD cards, data in it are read-only and won't allow any modify.
Form the Habit of Data Backup
Data backup is always the first choice to keep data from missing. And if you have made a backup for your SD card, there is no chance for you to pay a penny on SD recovery software. So form the habit of data backup is always helpful.
In this post, we mainly summarize the methods for how to recover SD card and explains the phenomena of SD card data loss & the corresponding causes for it.
In short, as long as the SD card can be recognized by Windows (no matter you can access it or not), you can download the free software - MiniTool Power Data Recovery - to have a scan first and then decide to obtain a license or not for SD card recovery.
At the end of the post, we give some tips on helping you avoid SD card data loss issue, you can share this to your circles if the software turns out to be useful or if you think the tips we give above are sweet.
Also, you may as well leave comments below if you have any questions or suggestion to help us improve. Thanks for your time and attention.