Free WD External Hard Drive Data Recovery Is Under Control
- WD External Hard Drive Unallocated
- Free WD External Hard Drive Data Recovery Service
- 1 Special Reason Why WD External Hard Drive Is Not Detecting
- Related Articles
- User Comments
WD External Hard Drive Unallocated
"Hi, I have one 3 TB WD my book external hard drive it get unallocated. I can't access in windows but in the disk management I can see it. It shows as unallocated. Please guide me to recover the data from this state of hard disk."
– by mafzal2000 at Tom's Hardware
This help required message is posted by mafzal2000 on Tom's Hardware forum. Obviously, his hard drive becomes unallocated now and he wants to find useful ways in short time to recover data from WD external hard drive.
Is that possible? Luckily, our answer is positive. We can promise you that WD external hard drive data recovery in such case is not a difficult task. We need to warn you two things:
1. Please don't try to create new partitions & save new data onto that hard drive.
2. Please don't choose unreliable data recovery tool from internet since it may bring secondary damage to your data.
Taking those factors into consideration, we suggest users, experienced or not, get MiniTool Power Data Recovery for data recovery from hard drive. It is 100% clean, and easy-to-use.
- You deleted important files from WD external hard drive by accident;
- You connected WD external hard drive to computer and found it shows as unknown;
- You suddenly found useful files are not showing up in WD external hard drive;
- Your computer got attacked by virus/ransomware suddenly.
No matter which is the reason that drives you to recover data from external hard drive, we can help! For people who care much about western digital data recovery cost, the free edition of MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a good choice; they can download and install it immediately to another drive to be well prepared.
Note: if you estimate the total size of files needing to be recovered from WD external hard drive and find it is far more than 1GB, you'd better buy a license to recover them all. After all, the free edition of software only allows you to recover 1GB data without paying any money.
When the installation is finished, please launch the software and start to recover external hard drive.
Free WD External Hard Drive Data Recovery Service
After entering Power Data Recovery, you'll firstly see 5 functional modules, which are designed for hard disk recovery in different cases. Except for the "CD/DVD Recovery", other modules can all be used to recover data from WD external hard drive.
Now, we'll show you how to use those 4 functions to complete data recovery from WD hard drive.
Function One – Undelete Recovery
You are suggested to choose "Undelete Recovery" to regain important files/folders after you deleted them mistakenly. You can also try this function when you find some useful files are not showing in WD external hard drive suddenly, without damaging the using of disk.
How to recover (please connect WD external hard drive before recovery):
- Click "Undelete Recovery" from main window.
- Select the WD hard drive and click on "Scan" button to detect deleted/lost files/folders.
- Check all needed files at the end of scan and click on "Save" button to set a new storage place for them.
If your WD external hard drive is not working, you can also try to recover data from it with this western digital hard drive repair software. See Recover Files From Dead External Hard Drive With Actionable Way to know more details.
Function Two – Lost Partition Recovery
We found people are asking how to recover data from WD external hard disk which is not detecting. Actually, they should figure out whether the WD external hard drive is really not recognized by computer. Sometimes, the WD external hard drive is only not showing up in Windows Explorer; when you open Windows Disk Management, you'll see it.
This is because the WD hard drive shows as unknown – unallocated, uninitialized or RAW, so Windows Explorer can't show it to you.
To recover data from WD external hard drive shows as unallocated/uninitialized, you should complete the following operations:
- Click on "Lost Partition Recovery".
- Select the WD hard drive and click on "Full Scan" button to detect partitions and files & folders in them.
- Check all files needing to be recovered from scan result and recover them by pressing "Save".
Function Three – Damaged Partition Recovery
If your WD external hard drive shows as RAW in Disk Management, you may need to turn to "Damaged Partition Recovery" since the RAW drive still exist and it is regarded as a partition.
The recovery process of using "Damaged Partition Recovery" is almost the same to that of using "Lost Partition Recovery".
Note: when your computer got attacked by virus/ransomware, you are also supposed to choose "Damaged Partition Recovery".
Function Four – Digital Media Recovery
"Digital Media Recovery" is suitable when you need to recover multimedia files like photos, music tracks and videos from WD hard drive. But you need to note that it will become unavailable when your hard drive becomes unallocated. That is to say, you can't use it to recover multimedia data from partitions deleted accidentally or lost suddenly.
Share This Now
1 Special Reason Why WD External Hard Drive Is Not Detecting
If you're running a Windows XP and find that the WD external hard drive can't be displayed in Windows Explorer, you should enter Disk Management to take a look. You may found it finally shows up here. But it can't just be used and you'll lose access to all data in it, right?
At this time, please recover data from it firstly by using the method we introduced above. Then, you can try those steps to make it appear/detect on computer:
- Stay in Disk Management and right click on the disk partition.
- Choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths…" from right-click menu.
- Click on "Add" and assign a drive letter to it.
- Press "OK" to confirm.
Now, you can recreate partitions on it and then go to check whether it can be displayed in Windows Explorer.
If this doesn't help in your case, you can also choose to use MiniTool Partition Wizard to deal with GPT protective partition.
To know more reasons why hard drive is not detected by computer, you ought to read USB Flash Drive Not Recognized – Don't Worry Too Much; the reasons of explaining why USB hard drive is not recognized are similar to that of USB flash drive.